Increase Investment to the Sector
Nonprofit organizations and public foundations need adequate funds to fulfill their missions and serve communities. Private foundations and the public sector need additional and diverse funding partners to further leverage their limited resources while scaling impact. Forefront advocates for additional private and public investments into the social impact sector and create initiatives that directly increase charitable giving and impact investing. We continue to:
- Grow #ILGive participation across the state by developing regional champions.
- Engage statewide partners to research the transfer of wealth on philanthropic giving.
- Sustain an advocacy network by connecting with legislators and their staff to advance knowledge of the sector and promote policies with increased charitable giving.
Develop Top Talent
The social impact sector is tasked with solving some of the most difficult challenges facing society. The need for knowledgeable, passionate, and agile professionals is greater than ever. To meet this unprecedented demand for leading talent, Forefront offers best-in-class professional development training. Our unique curriculum continues to be affordable, accessible, inclusive, and comprehensive. Also, our Library is a leading center for research and best practices with access to specialized prospect research databases. We continue to:
- Develop and deliver comprehensive professional development training for grantmaking, nonprofit, civic leaders, and professionals.
- Strengthen Forefront Member and Peer Networks to facilitate deeper and more impactful peer learning.
- Publish and distribute an updated “Best Practices for Operating Nonprofits and Foundations” in coordination with the Illinois Attorney General.
Improve Systems and Policies
Strong and effective social impact organizations thrive in an environment where they are valued and supported. Forefront removes barriers, increases efficiencies, and fosters innovation to create favorable practices, processes, and policies that are critical to their work. We actively promote civic engagement on behalf of our sector and continue to diversify our stakeholders. We also continue to:
- Offer Civic Engagement grants, education, and training statewide for the nonprofit sector in advance of the 2020 Primary Election.
- Provide the leadership and backbone support to the Census 2020 Funders Collaborative, the statewide Count Me in 2020 Advocacy Coalition and state/local elected officials.
- Partner with state and national research organizations to publish research relevant to our Members.
Promote Collective Action and Strategic Partnerships
Too many organizations are working in isolation without access to resources that promote collaboration, cultivate partnerships, and scale impact. Forefront is the go-to hub to help fulfill our stakeholders’ needs for strategic and collaborative partnerships plus collective impact. We continue to:
- Expand the Mission Sustainability Initiative as a confidential hub for nonprofits to access educational resources about strategic partnership and collaborations.
- Develop a strategic partnership with FBRK and the Impact House stakeholders to facilitate greater collaboration in Illinois philanthropy.
- Work with the Advancing Racial Equity Committee to educate board, staff, and key stakeholders, and develop a thoughtful, intentional, action-oriented movement within and outside Forefront.