- This event has passed.
What Does It Mean to Be Black-Led? Going Beyond Demographics
May 17 @ 2:00 pm - 3:30 pm
Grantmakers are invited to join this virtual program hosted by Forefront and Philanthropy New York.
Despite the recent uptick in organizations committing to centering DEI (diversity, equity, and inclusion) in the workplace, many DEI initiatives rely too heavily on performative measures, such as ad-hoc committees and/or tokenistic representation in leadership, rather than values-centered approaches. This includes donors and philanthropy organizations who prioritize these quantitative metrics in their funding decisions related to racial justice organizations and initiatives.
In response to this trend, Service Never Sleeps (SNS), a Black-led organization itself, launched a research project focused on the question, “What does it mean to be Black-Led?” to center and learn from Black leaders’ experience and values-centered approaches as the way forward to building equitable organizations and workplaces.
Please join us for a snapshot presentation on this research project led by SNS’ co-founders, where they will share the data and findings from engaging 27 nonprofit leaders and race equity experts and what the next phase of the project will look like. There will be time in breakout groups to reflect with your peers.
What will you learn?
- How to deepen your understanding of what being a Black-led organization means beyond the traditional qualifiers of leadership demographics
- Insights on the unique value and experience Black leaders offer and common barriers that they face
- What allyship and solidarity can look like in relation to supporting Black leaders, supporting Black-Led organizations, and being pro-Black
- The role that philanthropy can play in advancing this work
Who should attend?
All interested funders, regardless of roles.
What to expect:
Presentation, with breakouts.
- Samson Girma, COO and Co-Founder, Service Never Sleeps
- Whitney Parnell, CEO and Co-Founder, Service Never Sleeps
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions. Fore more information on this program, click here.