Forefront advocates for federal investment in the social impact sector through the Congressional budget process. This includes appropriations and tax policy. More information will appear here when important federal budget items arise.
Forefront joins its national partners in supporting legislation that expands and protects the right to vote and the protections for democratic elections in our country. We envision a society in which all people have representation, and we believe that a healthy social impact sector is fundamental to a healthy democracy. We support civic engagement, voting rights, open elections, accountable and ethical government, a full Census count, greater connectivity, and civil dialogue. To this end, we support the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act (HR 4 and HR 5746 in the 117th Congress), and will continue to support similar legislation in the 118th Congress.
Forefront is closely monitoring the following federal proposals and may support or oppose them depending on what we learn from our national partners and local stakeholders. Please send questions and feedback to PublicPolicy@MyForefront.org.
Forefront is committed to supporting full participation in the decennial Census; even now, we are thinking about the 2030 Census and encouraging other stakeholders to do the same. We continue meeting regularly with US Census Bureau staff and key partners from our statewide effort in 2020.
- Illinois funders should review the Roadmap to 2030 provided by the Leadership Conference Education Fund.
- Forefront signed onto this letter penned by the Census Project to the House and Senate Appropriation Committees urging Congress to provide $2 billion in funding for the Census Bureau in FY23.
- Forefront joined other stakeholders across the US in recommending specific improvements to the standards for federal data on race and ethnicity.
- Forefront submitted comments to the Census Bureau’s Federal Register Notice on how to improve for 2030
- Forefront is monitoring the End Prison Gerrymandering Act (HR 6550), an important bill that would improve the Census
Many sector organizations hesitate to engage in federal advocacy, but Forefront urges sector stakeholders to use their voices within the appropriate guidelines. Stakeholders may learn more about federal rules through partner resources including: